Wednesday, February 25, 2009

490 Times

I love Peter. He reminds me of myself in so many ways. It seems that his intentions are good but he always ends up doing the opposite of what Jesus wants him to do. For instance, in the Garden of Gethsemane when the mob came to arrest Jesus, Peter took out a sword and cut off a guy's ear. His intentions were good, he wanted to protect his Lord but he was interfering in what was supposed to happen. There are numerous times when Peter just doesn't get it. Just like me.

In Matthew 18, Peter comes to Jesus with a question. "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Knowing Peter's history you can see that he is probably asking this question not to learn about forgiveness but to find out when he can cut someone out of his life. However, Jesus gave him the answer that I doubt Peter was looking for. He told Peter, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." We might look at this and say, "OK I can forgive someone 490 times but after that I'm done with that person." I get this picture of someone walking around with a tally sheet, marking off each time they have to forgive someone. I'm sure Peter would have loved to get that answer but Peter understood what Jesus was saying. Jesus was using an exaggeration. Seventy times seven was basically like saying to infinity and beyond. We should always forgive. There is no limit on forgiveness like Peter and the Rabbis of the time were trying to rationalize.

God is always willing to forgive us when we are sorry. He forgives because He loves. There is no greater picture of this than the parable of The Prodigal Son. This spoiled brat was so greedy that he basically told his father that he wished he was dead. That way he could have all the money that was going to be left to him so he could do whatever he wanted. I can't imagine telling my mom that I wish she was dead just to get more money. That's what this son did. He went off, wasted the money and was to the point that he wanted to eat what the pigs ate. A Jewish boy wanting to eat with unclean pigs was just an absurd picture. He came to his senses and went home. While he was a long way off his father RAN to him. Not walked, power walked, or jogged. He ran to him like Armanti Edwards to the end zone. God runs to us when we want forgiveness. He knows our hearts and before we can even mutter the words "I'm sorry," He has His arms wrapped around us like the father in the parable.

God has forgiven us of so much, I know I am guilty of over 490 things against God but His forgiveness is still there. His mercies are new everyday. We should do the same. I know its not easy. When it comes to following Christ nothing is.

Why is it so hard to forgive people? What is the hardest part about forgiveness? Is it easier to forgive or to ask for forgiveness?

Ed gave us a great message about forgiveness and how love and forgiveness go hand in hand. Now its your turn...Speak Your Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment